The winner of the "Elvis at the Wheel" trivia contest (run by Distant Traveler Productions) is Tony Mastres. Incredibly, he only missed one question and it was by one model year on Mr. Juber's Fender. He said "56" and it was actually a "57". Congratulations to Tony and everyone who gave it their best shot. Hope you all had fun. Here are the correct answers:
1. 1957, Cadillac series 62 Coupe or Coupe de Ville 2. San Vincente Blvd 3. Sparks of Ancient Light, Last Days of the Century, Modern Times, Year of the Cat, Russians and Americans, Beach full of Shells, Between the Wars, Time Passages, Past, Present and Future, Famous Last Words, 24 Carrots and Dan Simonis' West Texas Millionaires 4. 57 Fender Stratocaster 5. Al Stewart: True Life Adventures of a Folk Rock Troubadour & Al Stewart: True Life Adventures of a Folk Rock Troubadour: Fully Revised and Updated. 6. 1 (Careless Love) Not counting titles on the bindings. 7. Video Producer Bruce Northey's name spelled backwards Ecurb Yehtron 8. Hereford (horned) 9. Fender (64 bassman) 10. Making the Sign of the Cross 11. West Texas Millionaires logo 12 Beethoven 13. Yamaha 14. Console Piano 15. Janis Joplin
"Elvis at the Wheel" contest
Introducing the “Elvis at the Wheel” Trivia Contest, brought to you by Distant Traveler Productions. Test your observational skills and try to find hidden messages throughout the video.
You must answer all 15 questions correctly & completely, some are quite tricky.
Answers must be specific and detailed. For example; when asked, what Year, Make and Model of car used, the answer should read, ( 1965, Ford, Fairlane).
The Grand Prizes for the winner who for correctly answers the most questions accurately and the first e-mailed response to me (email@example.com , subject: Elvis at the Wheel trivia contest) based on the time stamp, are as follows:
1) a signed copy of “Sparks of Ancient Light” CD
2) a “Year of The Cat” poster
and, wait for it, wait for it.....
3) THE one and ONLY “Pink and Black St. Paul “ statue used in the video, complete with a custom display box.
Really, other than bragging rights, how much better does it get than that!?!
The contest ends March 1, 2014 at midnight and the winner will be announced on the Al Stewart Official FB page and at alstewart.com on March 8, 2014 .
Good luck, and most importantly, enjoy the ride!!
1) What is the year, make & model of the car? 2) What major street in Brentwood CA. is seen in the background as Al walks up to the bookstore? 3) Name the 12 albums in the bookstore scenes 4) What is the year, make & model of the guitar Laurence Juber is playing? 5) What two Al Stewart books are seen in the bookstore? 6) How many book covers on display in the video are actual book titles? 7) The book entitled "The Life of Mrs. McGee" featured a pen named author. What relationship is that author to someone in the video? 8) What breed of cow is seen in the background with the sleeping Memphis Mafia? 9) What is the brand of the pre- Amp that Laurence Juber is playing through? 10) Besides shaking in his footsteps, what is Elvis seen doing in the background? 11) What is the decal on the passenger side windshield? 12) Other than the sexy clerk, who else is looking at Al from inside the bookstore? 13) What “ make” is the Bass guitar? 14) What “type” of piano is Al Stewart seen playing? 15) In the bookstore, what famous singer is set between Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia?
Individuals and their family members associated with the making of the “Elvis at The Wheel” music video are not eligible to enter this contest.
Al in fRoots Jan/Feb 2014 issue
Pick up a copy of the January-February 2014 issue of fRoots Magazine (UK) for an article about Al (available in both print and digital editions).
"THE SOHO TIDE It’s 1965. Al Stewart arrives in London with a guitar and a few Dylan songs. Soon he’s living in the next room to Paul Simon, duetting with Peter Bellamy on Fugs songs, and Alex Campbell wants to kill him. Ian Anderson wonders where all this could possibly lead… "
This song is based on an actual event in Elvis Presley's life, as chronicled in the book “Careless Love” by author Peter Guralnick.
"Love Chronicles" makes Uncut magazine list
Uncut Magazine in the UK has compiled a listing of the 50 most powerful, confessional singer-songwriter albums for their December 2013 issue (with Joni Mitchell on the cover). Al's "Love Chronicles" came in at #4.
Al Stewart Writes Foreword To New Book
Al Stewart would like to let his fans know about a new book, Bournemouth A Go! Go!, written by his close friend for over 50 years, Jon Kremer. Al has written the book’s foreword (in rhyme!).
The year is 1963. The year of Beatlemania and the Beatles are appearing in Bournemouth for a 6 day run of shows at the Gaumont theatre. In Bournemouth A Go! Go! Jon Kremer recalls those days when he and long-time friend Al Stewart, then teenagers, talked their way into the Beatles’ company that week in August.
Jon’s memoir tells of his role in Al’s journey from beat groups to worldwide success with Year of the Cat and includes the story The Men from Rickenbacker, when they each played John Lennon’s guitar, and the etiquette involved in offering a Beatle a cigarette.
Looking back at the Bournemouth music scene of the early 1960s – the time of Tony Blackburn, Zoot Money, Andy Summers, Robert Fripp, Greg Lake and many more – that exciting decade of pop-culture is explored, in conversational style, with warm nostalgia.
Here are two photos from the book, courtesy Jon Kremer:
New live DVD with Peter White and band
RS Productions is pleased to announce the upcoming release of "Live at Carmel-by-the-sea", Al Stewart's long awaited 2011 reunion show with Peter White. This full length concert DVD features classic performances of Al's most enduring music, backed by Peter on electric and acoustic guitar leading a full band of some of LA's hottest session players. Also included is an extensive video interview with Al and Peter and an attractive booklet of photographs from the show. This not-to-be-missed recording will be available starting in mid-September at Al's upcoming East Coast shows, and online at alstewart.com
Personalized "Chronicles: Best of Al Stewart" on eBay!
Personalized and Autographed "Chronicles- The Best of Al Stewart" Vinyl LP for the consummate Al Stewart fan.
Al appears on guitarist / opening act Dave Nachmanoff's new CD
In late May 2011, Al Stewart went into the studio to sing on his guitarist & opening act Dave Nachmanoff's new CD, "Step Up", on a song they co-wrote, "Sheila Won't Be Coming Home". You can now order a copy of the CD from CDBaby or iTunes, and at Al shows. In this video, Al, Dave, Liz Bligan, Bob Malone, and producer Ronan Chris Murphy add handclaps to the song.
Sgt. Al contest winner announcement and answer key
From RS Productions: "RS Productions is pleased to announce the winner of the "SGT. AL" poster contest. Having labored on for five months, the highly acclaimed honor goes to Tom, Shelly and Lisa Allen with an unbelievable misfire of just one mistake. The Allens have been notified and are the recipients of a dinner engagement with the esteemed Sir Al Stewart. Congratulations to the Allens. A big RS Productions thank you to all the participants of the contest, the response was magnificent.
Here is the long awaited key (answers) to the characters of the popular " Sgt. Al" poster. Here is the answer key in PDF format: Link . RS Productions would like to thank all of the hard core fans who participated in our contest. Stay tuned for the next RS Productions project with Al Stewart.
"There are those that can tell you what your fantasies mean. But I don't feel the need to understand everything." AS "
Al Stewart and Peter White stage rare musical reunion
Singer-songwriter Al Stewart (Year of the Cat, Time Passages) and his former keyboard and guitar player, Peter White, will stage a rare musical reunion at the Sunset Center in Carmel, CA on Saturday, May 7, 2011
The concert, featuring a full band of spectacular performers hand-chosen by White, represents a reunion of good friends and former band mates who have not had the chance to play together for more than 20 years.
White was a key member of Stewart’s band for 19 years before pursuing his remarkable solo career in the smooth jazz format. "I can’t believe it’s been that long," Stewart says. "I know it’s a cliché, but it seems like only yesterday we were touring and playing side by side. This will be an extraordinary evening for me and, I hope, everyone in the audience." "I am really looking forward to this." adds White. "We will definitely have a great time being together again on stage."
The special musical guest for the evening will be Katelyn Clampett, a rising pop and country singer-songwriter with a local connection. Her father, Bobby, is a longtime PGA Tour player and network commentator who grew up on the Peninsula.
Proceeds from the event will benefit the Tyler Heart Institute at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, which provides a full range of cardiac care, from prevention to open-heart surgery. A portion of each ticket will be tax deductible. Everyone who attends will also receive a commemorative poster on the evening of the concert.
New Al Stewart poster from RS Productions
From a dressing room discussion several years ago, until now...The latest Al Stewart poster, from RS Productions, inspired by designers Jann Haworth and Peter Blake. All the characters in Al's songs from the beginning of his illustrious songwriting career, on one poster. "...this is simply awesome, this is incredible, I love it, the fans will have an adventure with this. Absolutely the best one to date..." Al Stewart 12/15/10
Videos from I Migliori Anni
"Year of the Cat"
Al Stewart in Italy
On November 26 2010 Al will be in Rome Italy performing on an Italian TV show called "I Miggliori Anni" ( The Best years)
He will be performing short versions of Year of the Cat, Time Passages and On The Border with the studio orchestra.
Watch This Space.
Al profiled in Mark Oldman's new book
"Wine makes me dream . . . I dreamt the chorus to my song “Post World War Two Blues.” I’ve also dreamt the same album about three times. Although I never made it, I still remember the chord shapes . . . I’m more imaginative with wine." —Al Stewart
Al Stewart is one of the many celebrity wine lovers to be profiled in Mark Oldman’s new book, OLDMAN’S BRAVE NEW WORLD OF WINE. In the book—a fun-filled and carefully-researched tour of the best, most affordable, and most adventurous wines from around the globe—Al discusses his favorite wines and the many fun experiences he’s had with them, from imaging himself in a Parisian bistro to drinking Tori Amos’s boyfriend under the table. His comments join those from dozens of other notable wine lovers, including actors Hilary Swank and Kevin Bacon, novelist Jay McInerney, designer Zac Posen, and even Bill Nye, the “Science Guy.”
1. Last Days of the Century/Constantinople/Last Days (Medley) 2. Coldest Winter 3. Warren Harding 4. News From Spain 5. Bed-sitter Images 6. Midas Shadow 7. Running Man 8. Palace of Versailles 9. Auctioning Dave 10. Princess Olivia 11. Life In Dark Water 12. Carol 13. Old Admirals